Friday, January 04, 2008

Lists galore

Happy New Year!

Yes, another year came and went and for some it's that time again to look back and take stock of what transpired in the last twelve months - the highs or the lows, what we have accomplished or what we didn't get to do. Revisiting that very demanding list of goals drawn up at the start of 2007 and perhaps getting annoyed with oneself that a number of them will be making the 2008 list. But hey, that's moving on.

I am an inveterate listmaker. It's an idiosyncrasy I can't shake. I draw up lists for almost everything I do. I prefer to break things down into manageable sizes and list them (at times, they can be voluminous - it's crazy). But I still list them. Somehow, when they are written down they are more tangible and therefore, doable. This, of course, means that these lists often correspond to a specific timetable.

Some would view this as obsessive compulsive - but, it works for me. Being able to cross things off the lists allows that sense of accomplishment - that I didn't waste time, that I got something done.













There's the list of goals for the year. The things to do lists - for the month, the week and the day, even the weekend. As soon as Friday hits, I make a list of what to do over that weekend which would include the mundane household chores. There's also that list of things to do at work. This, I do before I leave work on a Friday which I get to review come Monday.

Other lists include a shopping list - what to get at Central Market (on a Friday night) and the supermarket on Saturday morning; list of payables / bills for the month; a wishlist of things I've never done and must do or list of things to buy (for the apartment / kitchen, gadgets and an if-and-only-if list); a booklist (for borrowing or for getting my own copy); a reading list for the week or for the month (an article or a book); list of journal publications to write; list of things / skills to learn or acquire (a program, a hobby).

The list goes on ...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unbalanced Reaction said...

Wow, that's quite a listing of lists! I make a lot of lists, too. What's odd is that I often make them in seminar or at my desk, but then I leave them at work. So although I usually get everything done on them, I never cross things off or actually have the list in front of me. Odd.

11:36 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know it's crazy. I myself wonder why I list (a lot of) things down, when most of the time I find them overwhelming. On the other hand, I shudder at the thought of not having a list (of some sort) for the day. Perhaps, the mere act of listing them down is my way of dealing with the task/chores/things. I must admit I'm not a 'wing-it' kind of person. :)

4:07 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ah, a kindred spirit! I do the same sort of thing. Except I've never thought about making a list for the weekend. Hmm....

2:30 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh-oh, I sure hope a weekend list is not that strange. :) Just shows that I need everything to be planned out and organised. Sounds boring and unexciting, huh?

9:42 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh, i love making lists, too! But I'm as thorough as you are, I'm afraid. I feel so satisfied whenever I'm able to tick a box or cross out something on the list. It seems like I've accomplished something great and that's one less off the load, know what I mean? LOL. :)

6:13 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

You nailed it, Sasha. Crossing out even the most mundane of tasks in the list gives that heady feeling of utter satisfaction. :)

11:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home